- The loss of Maya Angelou last week was felt by the literary community, doubly so by those of us who were her neighbors in Winston-Salem. Her influence was evident in the enormous number of touching and lovely social media posts. E.C. Hanes is the author of Billy Bowater and a longtime friend of Dr. Angelou. He shared his feelings about his dear friend and we were truly grateful for the chance to celebrate her. Read Hanes’ beautiful words here.
- In addition to Hanes’ post, we collected some of our favorite photos of Dr. Angelou over the years, including the above striking image of her walking and laughing with her son. See the full post here.
- In happier news, Porch Dogs, which we previously announced was a nominee for the IBPA Benjamin Franklin Award in the category of Animals/Pets, took home the gold! Congratulations to Nell Dickerson, creator of this beloved book!
- Our Summer Sale is here! Nine outdoor titles are 30% off all summer long. Whether you want to go on a hike, a bike ride, discover a waterfall, or reel in that big catch, there’s something here to help you celebrate North Carolina’s sunshine season.
- Did you have a chance to view the new book trailer for Jeremy B. Jones’ Bearwallow? If not, you’re in luck: here it is!