Thank you to everyone who entered our Blues Trivia Contest, inspired by David Wesley Williams’ Long Gone Daddies. Three lucky winners, from Arkansas, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania, received a free audiobook version of the book narrated by David Kudler.
Long Gone Daddies is available at blairpub.com and wherever books are sold. Also available as an ebook.
1. What word is mysteriously absent from the lyrics to the song “Mystery Train”?
Answer: “Mystery” Check out the full lyrics here.
2. What Memphis-born daughter of a preacher man initially turned down the chance to record the song “Son of a Preacher Man”?
Answer: Aretha Franklin
3. In Chuck Berry’s song “Back to Memphis,” where does his mama say he can wear his pajamas?
Answer: Walking Down Beale Street. Find the full lyrics here.
7. In Jimmie Rodgers’ “Blue Yodel #9,” what was a benefit of being a “Tennessee hustler”?
Answer: He didn’t have to work. Find the full lyrics here.
9. What pivotal moment in Elvis’s life did author Charles Portis, of True Grit fame, chronicle during his early days as a newspaperman for the Commercial Appeal in Memphis?
Answer: The illness and death of his mother.
Good luck next time and happy reading!